House painting in Concord is not exactly a piece of cake, especially if you've got a big job. House painting can involve extensive preparation, even if you decide to hire someone else instead of doing it yourself. If you plan to hire someone to do the house painting job for you, you can't just hire on the spot. To have excellent results in your painting job, hire a professional and qualified contractor in Concord and the surrounding area like Custom Painting, Inc.
In order to hire the best contractors to do the house painting for you, some research is needed. Why is that so? Because once you have done investigation into the painting contractors in Concord, you know you won't be cheated by unqualified, inexperienced or unlicensed people. Besides, you are very sure that you'll be getting the optimum service that you desire (and which will meet your budget).
Experienced, licensed, and professional painting contractors in Concord (and nearby towns) have the necessary know-how to do the job right. They also have specific tools and paint products that can achieve the best results. You also want to ensure the contractor is fully licensed, as well.
How do you know that the contractor you find is the right one for you? Here are some tips to help you choose which ones to hire and which ones to avoid.
1. One of the best ways to find the right painting contractor is to ask around. Ask for referrals from friends, neighbors, and acquaintances that might have had an experience with a painting contractor in the area. You will know who among them has had a good experience with their contractor, or otherwise a not-so-good one. You may also get referrals from some established paint companies in your area.
2. Contact at least three contractors and ask them for estimates. If any of them is willing to give you an estimate, then it's a good sign that it's a reputable contractor. All three contractors should fall roughly within the same price range. However, if their estimates are remarkably different from one another, ask what additional services they offer (if one contractor's price seems too high) or where corners are being cut (if another offers an estimate that seems too low).
3. Once you've chosen a candidate (or candidates), ask the contractor the following questions:
- How long have you been in this business?
- Are you properly licensed? (California requires a painting contractor's license.)
- Are you bonded and/or insured? (This is to determine that the workers are insured in case they are injured while on the job. That way, you won't be responsible to shoulder their medical bills, for instance.)
- Do you employ your own workers or do you subcontract? (It would be definitely better if a painting contractor employs its own workers.)
- What products do you use?
- Can you give us references?
- Do you offer written guarantees/warranties for your work?
4. It's also a good move to be specific about the project that you're going to make with your potential contractor. Will it be indoor house painting or outdoor house painting, or both? Would you like the walls only to have paint, or others such as trim, molding, and ceilings? What kind of surfaces would you like to have painted -- a smooth surface or a textured surface? What kind of paint color and finish would you like to use? It's good to talk about such aspects of the painting job that could affect the price.
5. To be sure about your potential contractor, get at least three references from their past customers. Contact these references and speak to them directly. If possible, visit their homes to inspect and evaluate the painter's work. If the painting job still remains intact (preferably from six months to one year and beyond), it means that these customers had hired the right contractor.
6. Once you've chosen a contractor, ask for a written contract. Read the contract and review it thoroughly and carefully to make sure you don't miss anything. If there are things that you don't understand or that need some clarification, ask -- after all, you are the customer so you have the right to ask questions and discuss specific matters with your contractor. Make sure to have these things in particular to be verified:
- The details about prepping and cleanup
- The surfaces being painted (such as walls and trim)
- Paint colors and finishes for specific areas to be painted
- Ask the contractor on how they will protect or cover furniture, plants, flower beds, etc.
- Ask on how many days will the project take before being completed
- When and how the contractor will be paid
Following these steps above will ensure you of hiring a contractor who is experienced, professional, licensed, and insured.
Hiring the right contractor may take a lot of work when you are going to start house painting. But once you've followed these above steps, you'll be ready to hire the right contractor that you deserve. In the end, you're going to enjoy your newly-painted home without ever worrying about the quality of job when house painting in Concord.