The best exterior painting in Walnut Creek is not always easy to achieve. However, you know that the “best” of everything does not have shortcuts. It requires considerable skill and ample amounts of work to get it right. Exterior paint is a huge job, and you must do it properly so that it will extend the life of your siding and you do not have to repeat the job very soon. Otherwise, that would be exasperating!
Custom Painting Inc. is one of the most trusted names in residential and commercial painting in the Bay Area. With its decades of experience, the company knows what it takes to have the best exterior paint job. Check out the following tips to achieve the best exterior paint job for your house or business:
1. Quality paint is just one of the things you will need to make your paint job durable and long-lasting. First, though, know which type of paint you are going to use for your exterior surface.
Latex (water-based) paints are the most common types of paints for home use. They dry fast, are easily cleaned with soap and water and have lower VOC emissions; thus, they are more environmentally compliant than oil paints. They can be applied on any surface type.
Before the advent of latex paints, oil paints used to be the choice of most house painters. Oil paints are a good choice if you want to paint over a surface that has been coated with oil or even latex paint. Oil paints also provide a smoother finish. However, they dry slower than latex, taking at least 24 hours to cure. You also need a thinner to clean them. Since oil paints are solvent based, they emit toxic fumes that can be a health and environmental hazard. They are also flammable.
A good exterior paint should also have good hiding properties. Color and thickness should be your guideline to determine the paint's ability to sufficiently hide surface flaws.
Compared to interior walls, exterior surfaces are more exposed to certain elements such as sunlight and moisture. These factors can cause the paint to experience fading. Therefore, a paint tint is the best choice because it can retain its original color, even years after!
2. Apart from good quality paints, you should invest in good quality tools such as brushes and rollers. They will pay off in faster and more efficient paint job as well as better and longer-lasting results.
3. Preparation of the surface is the key to a great paint finish. Don't forget to remove pots and other things to clear your work area. Cover flower beds, nearby lawns and garden paths with drop cloths so that they won't be messed with dripping paint.
Exterior painting often involves working with heights. So if your home is pretty high or has at least two stories, it means that you're going to need a ladder or even scaffolding to enable you to reach higher areas safely.
Start prepping the surface by cleaning and washing it with a garden hose or power washer. It is important to rinse the surface and leave it dry before proceeding to the next step. Check on it for any flaws such as loose old paint, stains, cracks, and holes. If there is loose paint, sand and scrape the affected area to leave it clean once again. Repair cracks and holes.
A primer is mostly necessary for surfaces that have been previously painted. It helps the topcoat to adhere well to the surface, which results in a smoother and more uniform paint finish.
4. One of the challenges of exterior painting is dealing with the weather. So, it is important to check the weather before deciding whether you should paint outside. Rely on your local and national weather forecasts – if there's a chance of rain or snow, don't go out to paint just yet. Wait until the weather becomes ideal for painting, but you should also wait for the surfaces to dry completely. If you paint on the surface that's still wet, it results in adhesion problems.
If you paint directly under the sunlight, the paint will dry too fast. Because of the extreme heat, your paintbrush or roller will become stiff, making it impossible to apply paint on the surface and avoid lap marks. The intense heat will cause surface problems such as peeling, blistering or “alligatoring.”
Cold weather also poses a challenge for exterior painting. When the temperature drops below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, don't go out to paint just yet, unless the product is formulated for cold weather use.
5. In applying paints, less is more – and it is better. When you apply paint too much, it won't be able to properly bind itself to the surface. It will result in surface flaws over time, such as flaking or peeling.
If the surface is white and you want to apply lighter colors such as yellow, beige or cream, you can get by with just one coat. If you choose to paint your light-colored house with darker colors, it usually requires two coats of paint.
Lighter colors tend to bounce back more light, which makes the house to appear bigger than it is. If your house is small, choose lighter paint colors like white or beige. Darker colors, on the other hand, tend to absorb more light, making them ideal for painting bigger houses.
Buy good quality paints – they may cost you more than cheaper paints, but they require fewer coats, provide better coverage and ensure a longer-lasting finish.
But if you do not have the painting skills or do not have the time for re-painting your property, the best move is to hire professional painting contractors. They take off much of the work and the trouble that you would have, had you chosen to do the DIY way. But if you want to save some money, you can do the cleaning and prepping the surface and getting the workspace ready by yourself, just before the painters arrive.
With their skills, experience, and expertise, professional painting contractors deliver quality results. When the pros do the work, it saves you time, money and effort. It also saves you from stress.
However, not all painting contractors are the same. Look for the ones that are bonded and insured – this can save you from a lot of trouble in case a problem arises midway through the painting job. Custom Painting Inc. is a fully insured company that provides exterior and interior painting services for both residential and commercial properties. It is also considered the choice for the best exterior painting in Walnut Creek.
If you're in the Bay Area who needs a painting job for your home or commercial property, do not hesitate to call Custom Painting Inc. With its over three decades of experience in the industry, we have become of the best exterior painting in Walnut Creek companies.