For house painting in Pleasanton, if you want to paint on your house's exterior but don't know exactly how much paint you'll need, measuring your house will be of great help. Buying the right amount of paint will save you time and money. In addition, it will be also helpful on the environment by avoiding unused paint that will add harmful wastes.
How can you be sure that you purchase the right amount of paint? This is done through calculating how many gallons of paint your home's exterior will need. While a painting contractor will be able to determine how much paint your house requires by just looking at the job, you can also estimate it yourself quite accurately.
Here are the following instructions on how to determine exterior paint coverage for house painting in Pleasanton:
1. First, measure the length and width of your house's exterior walls along the base. Jot down all the measurements.
2. Then measure the height of your house's exterior, from its base to the roofline. If an exterior is made up of sections of bricks or siding boards then measuring how tall your house is should be much easier.
3. Multiply the width of all your house's measurements and the height of all of your house's measurements together. What you'll get is the wall surface area below roofline.
4. Measure your house's gable by its width and height then multiply them together. You'll get the area of gable in square feet. Then divide it by two. Repeat this formula for each gable and add the results together.
5. Add the amount of wall surface area (from step #3) and the gable's total square footage. You'll get the total surface area of the walls.
6. For the eaves: Measure each of them by its width and height and multiply them together. You'll get the area of eaves in square feet.
7. Next, add the amount of your house's total surface area and the eaves' square footage. The result is total surface area of the walls and eaves.
8. For the doors, measure them by its width and height and multiply the measurements together. The result will be the area of the door by square feet. (Repeat this process on other doors)
9. Use the same method on the windows, by measuring them by its width and height and multiplying them together. You'll get the area of the windows by square feet. (Repeat this process on all the windows of your home.)
10. As you've measured all the doors and windows, add all their measurements together.
11. Add the total surface area of walls and eaves and then the total measurements of the doors and windows together. You'll get the total square footage of the exterior.
12. Estimate that you'll get between 250 to 350 sq. ft./gallon of wall paint. Examine your wall's surface. If your house exterior surface is rough or textured such as stucco or brick, paint coverage will probably be closer to 250 square feet. Smooth exterior such as vinyl or aluminum won't need as much coverage.
13. Divide the total measurement of your house's exterior by the (predicted) per-gallon coverage to have the specific number gallons for one coat of paint.
14. Determine how much paint you will need for the trim. The usual estimate for this figures 1 gallon of trim paint for every 8 gallons of siding paint.
Remember that you should buy a good quality paint that covers as much as possible in one coating so that your job won't be too time-consuming. For house painting in Pleasanton, determining how much paint your house exterior needs won't be difficult if you know how to follow the steps properly.
Fremont, Hayward Area
Livermore, Dublin, Pleasanton Area
San Ramon, Danville, Alamo Area
Walnut Creek, Concord Clayton, Pleasant Hill Lafayette, Orinda Area
Send your friend a link to this site.
Your Friend's Name
Your Friend's Email
Message to Friend
AS OF 2006, THE CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD REQUIRES ANY CONTRACTOR THAT DOES HOME IMPROVEMENT WORK EXCEEDING $500.00 TO HAVE A STATE APPROVED CONTRACT SIGNED BY THE HOMEOWNER AND THE COMPANY THAT IS DOING THE WORK. THE CONTRACTOR IS ALSO REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAND YOU A FORM THAT LETS YOU KNOW WHETHER THEY DO OR DO NOT CARRY LIABILITY INSURANCE.
Did you know there are over 16,000 painting contractors in California? Custom Painting, Inc. suggests that you please choose wisely.
Residential & Commercial Painting Services, Custom Molding Installation, Acoustic Ceiling Removal by Custom Painting, Inc. – We are a Licensed and
Insured Provider working across the Bay Area, the East Bay, San Ramon, Danville, Livermore, Fremont, Pleasanton, Concord