Graffiti can certainly be a painful sight. House painting in Concord will help you get rid of the unsightly graffiti marks on your walls but you need some special paints or tools to do that. In addition, you need to cover the graffiti properly because if you don't, the marks can show through even the newest coating.
Kids love to draw, but the only problem is that they draw practically everywhere, including the interior walls. Crayons are a tough problem to tackle. To remove these scribbles on the walls, here are the proper ways to do it:
- Like many other paint jobs, proper preparation on the surface will leave the surface clean and dry which will allow the top coat to adhere well. Clean the surface. If there is loose or peeling paint, scrape it off and sand the area to make it smoother. Repair any flaws such as cracks and nail grooves with joint compound, and let it dry completely.
- Prime all areas with graffiti. Choose a good-quality stain-blocking primer such as Zinsser B-I-N Primer Sealer which is specifically made for hiding crayon/graffiti marks. After applying the primer, allow it to dry for 45 minutes. Using this kind of primer will act as a separator between the graffiti marks and the top coat, so rest assured that the marks won't seep through the finishing paint.
- After the surface has been prepped and primed, coat it with a glossy paint. A satin or semi-gloss paint is recommended. Glossy paints do a better job of resisting graffiti and any other marks as compared to flat paints.
But if you want to make sure that the graffiti marks won't show, you can use any of these tricks:
- Before prepping the surface, you may want to apply WD-40, which is a lubricant commonly used for automotive purposes. It works fantastically in removing crayon marks. Spray a bit of the WD-40 on a clean rag or cloth and then wipe it over the crayon marks. Or you can spray the WD-40 directly to the graffiti and gently rub the marks until they disappear. You may need to apply more of the WD-40 for stubborn marks.
- Baking soda is another good solution. Just dip a damp rag with the baking soda and gently rub the marks until they disappear.
- Would you believe that a school eraser can also be effective in removing graffiti? Gently erase the crayon marks until most of them become invisible. Clean the residue left from the erasing.
If you see graffiti on your exterior walls, use a high-quality anti-graffiti coating after prepping and priming. Make sure that the anti-graffiti coating remains stable and won't erode after it has been washed many times. Pros usually recommend using Sherwin-Williams Anti-Graffiti Coating as it excellently repels graffiti, even permanent markers. It dries quickly and makes it easy for the topcoat to adhere.
With proper house painting in Concord techniques and the proper paints and tools, graffiti marks will be gone in no time.